It’s hard to believe we’re already two months into 2019. February was mostly a blur for me. Between traveling for work, moving into a new rental, and then traveling to New York, I haven’t put myself in the right situations to sit down and focus. Luckily, I’m already at a point where it feels weird to skip a day’s workout session or just completely pig out. Even though I’ve really just zoned out for most of this month, I haven’t regressed into bad habits and in fact, I’ve been making great progress with my goals.
Weight in February
Wow, what a change. I made a lot of progress in my final week of the month. On 2/28, I weighed 172.8 pounds. I was finally able to break out of that oscillating range around 180 and then break out of a similar stagnation around 177. I think I can attribute my progress to two main factors: a) I have been changing my body composition for the last two months by building up muscle which has increased my metabolism, and b) I have made a conscious effort to eat a little bit less. Not to the point of starving myself. I’ve been listening to my body and if I’m hungry, I will eat. But let’s say I buy Chipotle, I’ll eat half of that burrito bowl immediately. Then, if I’m still hungry in an hour, I’ll eat more. More often than not, I’m not hungry, and I get to save that Chipotle for another meal.
Exercise in February
I stated in my last monthly review that I wanted to ramp up my exercise from four times to six times a week. That goal was ambitious and I knew it was unlikely when I set it. I more or less stuck with my original habit of four times a week. Muay Thai has given me a lot of confidence to push myself, even outside of training directly. I was able to learn a bunch of exercise routines that I implement on my own when I’m away. One word: pyramids.
Meal Spend in February
Would you look at that…. For February, my meal spend was $423.51. That is a decrease of 48% from January’s spending. If I was a stock, you’d be buying right now. In all seriousness, February is a little deceptive since it’s a shortened month. A few extra days could’ve easily pushed me much higher. Also, because I’ve been moving around so much, I haven’t had as many opportunities to get together socially, which kept my spending lower.
Accomplishments in February
- Finished reading The Woman Who Smashed Codes by Jason Fagone
Failures in February
- Literally none of my changes from January were implemented LOL
- I planned to take a udemy course on Machine Learning but never started
Surprises in February
- Committing to being sober at social events is hard. I feel like I’m sucking out other people’s enjoyment by not drinking but maybe it’s all in my head. Maybe it’s not though.
- This month, I didn’t make it easy for myself to be productive. Looking back on January, a lot of last month’s thoughts actually stemmed from reading, WTF? by Tim O’Reilly. I want to seek out more media that engages me to reflect on broader issues. Anyone have suggestions?