So I watched Spiderman: Into the Spider-verse…it was really good! It has a lot in common with what made Thor: Ragnarok good. It’s easy to access, it’s funny, it’s self-aware, and doesn’t take itself too seriously.
THE GOOD STUFF:
- Miles Morales as a main character is very personable and easy to relate to.
- The movie shows just enough hardship to make the overarching themes pay off. ANYONE CAN WEAR THE MASK.
- The animation has a lot of fun combining whacky comic-book speech bubbles with a modern, futuristic art style.
- Kid friendly, but still smart enough that anyone of any age can enjoy it.
- The characters outside of Miles and Peter Parker really only make what are essentially cameo appearances as one trick gags. Comic-book purists may be disappointed.
The latest Spiderman is a feel good, light-hearted animation. It’s doesn’t occupy the same space as the best MCU movies of the last decade, but it doesn’t have to and that’s what really what it’s going for. If you’re looking for a visually stunning and fun movie, go see it!